Friday, February 22, 2008

Thanks Annie... ouch!

So, my lovely pooch made another escape today. It all started when Alex was helping me unload the van from our Sam's Club shopping trip. He had just brought a box of something in the house and was coming back out the door when Annie bolted. I was at the end of the side walk and thought I could grab her before she ran past me. I stepped toward her and was able to get my hands on her but only the tip of one finger in her collar.

Note to self: One finger in the collar of a fleeting German Shepard isn't a good thing, avoid at all cost.

As Annie ran past me, the one finger I had in her collar, my pinky, wasn't enough to stop her and it let go.. literally. I knew in that moment that my finger was broken. After the groceries were unloaded and put away I called Ben about coming home so I could go to the doctor. It wasn't long after that when a passer-by stopped in the road to play with a crazy wandering German Shepard... Me being me, I couldn't let some stranger take my big dumb dog, so I poked my head out the door and told him that she wouldn't come in. Thankfully, he was able to coax her out of the road and returned her to me with little effort.

After a long trip to the walk-in clinic, my suspicions were confirmed - my finger is indeed broken. For up to six weeks, I will be sporting a lovely splint while my finger heals. I just hope my finger returns to its original shape and color!

(By the way, I'm still not talking to the dog either!)

3 comments:

Saima said...

oh Tara, ouch! I can't imagine the pain. Darn dog.. I'm glad you didn't fall tho!

Lyz said...

I second that! Better your finger than Bobner.

I'm just impressed that you actually claimed Annie afterwards. Of course, we both know what a dog person I am...hah!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the story as Lacey is a bit of a runner when she gets out. Although I have never broken any bones trying to catch her. What perfect timimg too. Hopefully it'll all be better by the time Bobner gets here.

Suzi